April 22, 2014

BASEketball

I kind of figured that the combination of the guys who made South Park and one of the Zucker brothers, creators of classic parody movies like Airplane! and Top Secret! would produce hilarious results in BASEketball- after all, when separate these guys have made many of the funniest pieces of media I've ever seen. But Baseketball just never quite worked as well as I thought it would; it was occasionally funny but nothing special. I suppose it's worth noting that Trey Parker and Matt Stone were nothing but actors in the movie, and while I'm sure they had additional contributions, they didn't write or direct anything. BASEketball is funny enough in concept- two nonathletic losers can only do one thing well sports-wise, and that's shoot basketballs, so they eventually form a sport out of combining that skill with the scoring system of baseball, and it quickly becomes a national phenomenon. From there it doesn't stray too far from your typical sports movie plot plus some absurd gags as the guys need to win the championship to save their team, and one player sells out, and the two fight over a woman. I really expected it to be a little more subversive than it was. Also the movie is just painfully 90's- they casted a bunch of hot 90's women like Jenny McCarthy, Victoria Silvstedt and Yasmine Bleeth and the soundtrack featured a lot of Reel Big Fish. Yikes! Everyone involved here has done better; don't bother with BASEketball.

2 comments:

  1. Funny - I really enjoyed this movie, back whenever I saw it. (I'd guess something like 2003?) I believe I watched it with Keith and a few other people, so I'd be curious to hear his take here. Maybe it just doesn't hold up at all if you aren't 15 or 16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched it since and from what I remember the humor is a little childish. Everything Sweeney says here makes sense to me, but I won't ever agree to this movie being bad. I think I'll always give these two the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete