July 23, 2013

Boardwalk Empire: Season Two

There were many reasons I decided to get HBO, most of which is the fact that there's a huge backlog of older quality tv available streaming and much cheaper than DVDs. I was however, interested in a few shoes that were currently airing- Game of Thrones, Girls, and Boardwalk Empire. While the first two have delivered (not everyone liked Girls' second season but it certainly kept me interested), I think after two seasons of Boardwalk Empire I might sit the rest of the series out. The draws of a fantastic actor in Steve Buscemi and a big-budget recreation of an exciting time in American history (bootleggers in Atlantic City during Prohibition) were huge, but I just don't feel like the story here is engaging enough for me to want to stick around. Season two focused on the power plays between Nucky and Jimmy, two rivals who seek to control the flow of alcohol in and out of the city, but it was tough for me to really care who came out on top, although credit is due to the show for definitively having one character "on top" by the season's end. I dunno, individual storylines can be interesting enough, but I'm not really sure where this is going and I don't like the characters enough (except for maybe Van Alden) to keep watching. Oh well! I'll leave season three on my backlog page in case I ever get around to it.

2 comments:

  1. Marissa jumped off after the second season, and I don't blame either of you. While there were plenty of decent scenes and moments in Season 3, it doesn't seem like this show will ever live up to its admittedly lofty initial hype. (HBO! Buscemi! Scorsese! Prohibition! Atlantic City!) I agree - there simply aren't enough interesting or enjoyable characters, and there's no real thematic or plot-driven motion to any of this. How about that finale, though? Compare that to the fourth season of Sons of Anarchy, which aired concurrently. Night and day, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, especially compared with Sons of Anarchy's swing-and-a-miss, it was a solid finale with some real closure. And it's not like this is some terrible tv show, I didn't really actively dislike any of it, but it really just rarely grabbed my attention all that much.

    ReplyDelete