July 2, 2013

Micro


I received my Kindle on Christmas 2011 from Danielle (Thanks Danielle!). The first book I purchased on my Kindle was Micro. The story behind this book is that Crichton was in the midst of writing it when he passed away in 2008. As a huge Michael Crichton fan (Jurassic Park!), I knew I needed to read this book. However, you can probably guess that I was not a huge fan seeing as I purchased it in 2011 and was not able to finish it until 2013. I found myself trying to pick out when it was Crichton's writing and when it was Preston's. Being biased, any parts of the book I hated I credited to Preston and anything I liked I credited to Crichton. It breaks down like this: I loved the first 40% of the book, could not stand the middle 30% of the book, tolerated/liked the next 20% and got a huge kick out of the last 10% just because of sheer ridiculousness of the climax and conclusion. Anyway, I read the first 40% of it before putting this book down for over a year. Because of that, I lost some of the details along the way, but I can say that this book makes Jurassic Park seem completely plausible by comparison. The amount of pseudo science spread around in this book boggles my mind. Anyway, a scientist creates a way to shrink humans and rather than just shrinking his kids, he shrinks robots as a way "to cure disease." However, the billionaire backing the project decides to take the technology and try to sell it to the highest bidder for much more sinister applications. Because of that, the billionaire convinces himself that he needs to murder everyone. First, however, he shrinks the people so there is no evidence. Anyway, he fails and a group of scientists are micro-sized for most of the book (the part of the book that I did not enjoy) and then they gain "super powers" because of the change in physics based on their size. It's as stupid as it sounds. Anyway, if you enjoy Crichton, proceed with extreme caution. I am glad I read it, but never again. Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment