February 17, 2010

Halo 3: ODST

As I mentioned in a previous post, I planned on purchasing Miles Edgeworth: Perfect Prosecutor for the DS on the day it came out, which happens to be today. Unfortunately, a snow storm kept me from taking a Gamestop detour on my way home from work, so I decided to take out my aggression for this injustice on the Halo series. I popped Halo 3 into my 360, and after the opening cinematic the game was suddenly "unable to read the disc." After a few retries, I finally gave up and figured I'd take care of the game at some later point- after all, I've nullified games for less (Fallout 3, Rainbow 6). Also, as I've said before I'm not really trying to beat the series in order, so starting with the second and moving on to the fourth in the series should be no big deal. And truth be told, it wasn't. I didn't like Halo 2 based on how generic it was- it seemed like a dozen levels that consisted of nothing but "get from point A to point B and shoot anything that tries to stop you." ODST didn't feel like this at all- a majority of the game is played as "The Rookie," an ODST member trying to put together the pieces of a mission gone wrong. The Rookie wanders around a wasteland of a city, finding relics of his fellow troops which let the player play through some varied sub-missions. The game fell into a pattern, sure, but at least it wasn't a boring one. By the time the memory-retrieval gimmick started to grow stale, it was ended, leading up to some epic final levels. The problem here is how short the whole thing was. I've criticized plenty of other games for not having enough content to justify the price, but ODST takes the cake, as Stan went into in his post. I can't really complain as my brother bought the game, so I didn't actually lose any money. Oh well. Halo 3: ODST, while it might have worked better as some sort of downloadable content, is certainly a fun way to waste a night, and all Halo fans should check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Man, the Halo series does not want you to beat it. And you've played the worst two (of four) so far, no less. I know I already had my chance to rag on Halo 3: ODST, but once again I can't get over how short it was. You beat it in one night, alone. I beat it in one night, on legendary difficulty. The thing just wasn't much of a game.

    ReplyDelete