February 21, 2010

Fast & Furious


You know that phrase, "it was so bad that it was good?" I never liked that phrase. Yet, I can't think of a better one to describe Fast & Furious, the fourth film (but third chronological story) in the Vin Diesel and Paul Walker franchise. There are so many plot holes, poorly thought out "plans" by the heroes, and fast car chases just for the sake of fast car chases, that the final product almost comes out as its own kind of masterpiece. In short, I didn't want this movie to be realistic or well-acted. Nobody did. So the fact that it wasn't either of these things - at all - only made me enjoy it more. Hence, it was "bad enough" to be good. Part of me wants to go off on a comedic rant about the plot, characters, and acting. About how Paul Walker spent the entire movie forcing his voice to be lower like a kid impersonating an adult on the telephone. About how the main villain looked exactly like Vinny from Jersey Shore. About how utterly useless it was to bring back Jordana Brewster's character just to guilt trip Paul Walker's. About how the movie credited Michelle Rodriguez with third billing and a starring role when she was on screen for less than ten minutes. But nothing I could concoct would be half as good as the review Adam Carolla and Bill Simmons gave it ten months ago on a podcast. (Fast forward to the 21:35 mark for their priceless recap.) So instead of saying anything more, I'll just thank the movie for being exactly what I wanted it to be - no less, and more importantly, no more. If there's a Fast & Furious 5, you better believe I'll be seeing it on opening weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment