May 8, 2019

Bonding: Season 1


Seven episodes, fifteen minutes each - you can bang this thing out in less time than most feature films! Problem is, there's not a lot of meat on this particular bone. The show's hook is that a grad school student moonlighting as a dominatrix hires her gay best friend as her assistant. But the show's ostensible heart is that the pair of them, I dunno, challenge one another to become better, fuller people, or something? Like a co-dependence that turns into a... bond? Ah? That title, that double entendre, you get it, you see it.

This wasn't very good, and even the original (slight) premise is gone by the finale, the show devolving into what feels like the third act of a not-quite-rom-com where bickering friends end up with a stronger relationship than ever before. What bugs me though is that what's shaping up to be this neat little story ends instead on a complete action-suspense cliffhanger, the duo on the run from a  crime scene in which they've stabbed a violent client in self defense. It's not even clear to me that there'll be a second season, and I'm not sure I'd have watched one if there had been (although, come on, fifteen-minute episodes are hard to find fault with) and still somehow I'm annoyed that a story I wasn't even into didn't settle for the ending it had earned. Gah!

No comments:

Post a Comment