April 17, 2019

Documentary Now!: Season 3


This one continues to be completely hit-or-miss for me, and its greatest strength (its versatility) seems to also be its greatest weakness, as any given week an episode could either slay me or completely miss me. The two-part season premier was a riff on Wild Wild Country, a rare example of the show spoofing a documentary I've actually seen, and it fell almost completely flat for me. But then out of nowhere there was my favorite episode of the show to date, a 1970s Broadway musical cast recording that I watched twice, containing all kinds of songs made up completely from whole cloth that I haven't gotten out of my head in two months!

The season's runner up was probably the finale, a documentary about the 2000s rebirth of a televised bowling league that had been a huge success in the 1980s but fell off drastically in the '90s thanks to, like, Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls or something.

What do you do with a show that, maybe ten percent of the time, has you in absolute stitches, but plays like nothing more than background noise in at least half of its episodes? I can't quit this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment