May 16, 2018

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask


This is probably the end of the line for Professor Layton and me. I've now played games from this series in 2008, 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2018, which indicates that I have a constant but extraordinarily low appetite for them. There's one more game in the series, but it's rare and out of print and costs something like sity bucks on Amazon, and that just isn't a purchase that seems necessary at this point, "series closure" be damned.

Look, these are cute, the tone and the characters are endearing, and I fully understand the appeal. But, oof, the stories - the main capers at the center of these games - are just utter dogshit! I play the games for the puzzles and the puzzles alone, but those puzzles are entirely divorced from the main narrative. So the way I ended up playing this one, for instance, was just to sprint through entire chapters of the story as quickly as possible in order to enjoy full-fledged puzzlin' sessions in between them. It's not worth it! The puzzles aren't even that good!

It's been a pleasure to play through these. But also, frankly, it's been a bit of a bore! And I just think this series was far more novel in 2008 - portable puzzles! - than it is in 2018, when there are like a thousand puzzle-based smartphone apps to check out. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment