October 29, 2017

Super Punch-Out!!


You know what's awesome? The SNES Classic. Shout out to Keith for keeping his eyes peeled and his Google alerts hot on my behalf while I was off getting into bike crashes in Norway - thanks to him, I've got my very own throwback nostalgia machine with, like, fifteen games I've played and mostly loved, and a handful I've not played but hope to love.

You know what's not awesome? Super Punch-Out!! is not awesome. It's not even very good. It's a pattern recognition button masher with a few memorable characters. It's... it sucks. What is the point of it, in 2017? Are there big time Super Punch-Out!! fans out there who are really happy this was included in the SNES Classic? I mean, probably, sure. But damn - there's almost nothing to this game beyond recognizing enemy attack patterns and reacting accordingly. And if you want to say that virtually all old video games boiled down to that in one way or another - or even if all current games do, too - I can't really argue. But still. This? This is nakedly only that. Oh well! The SNES Classic is still really good, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment