October 30, 2017

Top of the Lake: Season 2


Here's the second season of Top of the Lake, a show from New Zealand that won all sorts of critical acclaim back in 2013. I finally caught up and watched those seven episodes a few months back and didn't quite love them as much as I'd hoped to. As always, hype's dangerous, right? But with this season - called "China Girl," which, hey, a little racist, but then, also, Australia - I figured I could give it an episode and decide where to go from there.

And I liked it! Ironically, I liked it more than I liked the first season, which puts mine in the extreme minority of reactions. But Elisabeth Moss is just phenomenal here, as she so often is, and the story, though a bit more farfetched and contrived than in Season 1, was also a little bit more exciting and funny and there were more principal characters but fewer secondary and tertiary characters to keep track of. I can see it straining credulity, sure - but that didn't bother me so much. Anyway, you could do a lot worse than to check out Top of the Lake on Hulu and I'm sure elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment