April 22, 2015

Mario Kart: Super Circuit


Here's the third Mario Kart game, a 2001 release on the GameBoy Advance. Fourteen years later, I'm not so sure it holds up. The graphics look weak, inferior to the lower-quality original SNES game from 1992. I guess it was a big deal to be able to play Mario Kart on the go back in 2001, but playing it on the Wii U Virtual Console didn't quite provide the same level of satisfaction. The controls were even worse than the graphics; drafting and mini-boosting hadn't yet been implemented into Mario Kart - those would come with Double Dash!! - and instead the turning was just really harp and crisp. There were several tracks where I just needed to lay off the gas while making certain turns. I'm sure I wasn't racing optimally, but, whatever. All things considered, this is nothing anyone reading this needs to revisit. It really wasn't bad, but it's a dated and shoddy game.

No comments:

Post a Comment