September 26, 2014

Orange is the New Black: Season 1

Katie and I are seemingly two of the last people to get into Orange is the New Black, but that's okay- here we are, just a season behind everyone else at this point and hungry for more. For any who haven't given this show a shot, I'll just make myself another voice in the crowd of people who says it's great and you should watch it. It's also really easy to get into- the first few minutes hook you right in and I enjoyed the whole season. I guess to add something to this post that isn't just boring praise, I'll comment on Keith's post from this past July, where he really laid into the main character Piper. First claim- she sucks. This is debatable, but I do agree many of the other characters in this ensemble cast are more interesting. Still though, a naive girl who barely even realized she was committing a crime makes for a relatable character at the center of it all. Second claim- she's selfish. Yeah, I'll agree with this, at least at the start of the show, but at least she shows a lot of growth over the season. Third claim though, she refuses to admit what she did was wrong? Disagreed! She's clearly not happy about the fact that she's been thrown into prison for a crime she was unaware she was committing, whose statute of limitations is nearly through, which didn't hurt anyone, and which she clearly wouldn't repeat, but she owns up to it. In one of the middle episodes of the season Piper's mother is visiting her and tells her that Piper doesn't belong here; Piper disagrees and says it's her own fault she's here and she's no different from any of the other prisoners. Growth! Piper's experience help her to mature throughout the season, even if the last scene of the season has Piper make seemingly her worst decision of all... but hey, I'll find out when I start into season two, which is probably very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Fun fact: Pennsatucky is Peyton Manning's cousin! You can't unsee it now.

    *Second cousin
    **Eli's as well I guess but who gives a shit

    ReplyDelete