October 16, 2013

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse


Graphic adventure games haven't received much attention at all on the BackBlog- aside from the first two Sam and Max games I posted years ago, and Trevor's post of the surreal The Neverhood (which may or may not be added to my backlog at some point, as he gave that game to me), there's not a lot of interest in this type of game. I myself was hesitant to return for the third Sam and Max installment- while the series does have some great puzzles and snappy dialog, the level of polish on the two Wii ports I played was just so low that it got embarassing at times. Messy graphics and awful controls distracted from the clever gags. But when I found a recent cheap bundle of PC games including the third "season" of gameplay- Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse, I decided to give the series one last shot. After all, even a low-end PC should be able to easily best the Wii's graphics, and playing a game on the system it was designed for meant there was a good chance the controls would actually make sense. And I'm glad I played it! Playing Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse on the PC is much easier than my stupid Wii, and I was able to appreciate the game for what it was rather than fumble with controls. You take control of the freelance police: dog Sam and rabbit-thing Max, as they solve puzzles to crack five wacky episodic cases. The plots are very intricate and full of recurring gags and characters but it all builds upon the previous two games in the rebooted series- going in blind would likely confuse most new players, and the big finale requires specific knowledge of a case in the second game to make any sense. Of course it also helps that I played the games with heaps of nostalgia for the old Saturday morning cartoons based on the series, so that helped. Still though, whenever I check around online for other's impressions of the game, people can't help but get nostalgic and compare this to the golden days of adventure gaming in the late eighties and early nineties, with classics like Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, and the King's Quest series. I'd like to try out the re-release of Monkey Island soon enough, but there's just too many games on my plate for now.

1 comment:

  1. The series of Call of Duty are very popular among PC gamers. So far, eight series have been released, the latest one being Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, developed by Infinity Ward. It has a fictitious storyline, challenging the players to attain various missions. You can make use of highly sophisticated vehicles and weapons. It's a very realistic game where you can employ 1 or 2 weapons, such as a rifle and a handgun at the same time. It also enables you to perform exceptional movements, like kneeling down and crawling etc, therefor taking your enemies by surprise. It has earned critical acclaim, adding to its great reputation.

    Top Rated PC Games

    ReplyDelete