October 31, 2013

Kid Icarus: Uprising


I wanted to like this game much more than I actually did. Pit is one of my favorite characters in the newest Super Smash Bros. game and the idea of a Kid Icarus revival after something like twenty years on the shelf for the franchise had me at least moderately excited. Alas, this game simply did not deliver. In addition to being physically uncomfortable to play, the mechanics themselves were confusing, haphazard, and overall just a great big clusterfuck. Gameplay felt very repetitive, and yet at the same time I could never really get into any sort of rhythm at all. It wasn't clear to me which weapons were best suited for which levels or enemies and the story itself, though irrelevant to my ability to play the game, was tough to comprehend. Maybe this'll sound xenophobic, but it just felt like such a Japanese game to me, all hodgepodge and chaotic with a wisecracking hero at its center. I don't regret playing this and I actually kind of like that it's part of my fledgling 3DS game collection, but this just wasn't one of the better gaming experiences I've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment