October 6, 2012

Carcassonne


Real quick entry here. I've been getting into strategy board games over the past year or so, thanks in large part to some coworkers. This is a very simple and popular example of that European strategy genre of games, and I'd never played it, so when I found a version of it sitting there on Xbox Live Arcade for five bucks, I jumped on it. (The actual board game retails for something like $25 or $30, so this was, in a way, a real steal.) I learned the rules of the game and beat an AI opponent twice in the course of an hour, so I think I can safely call this one "beaten." And I definitely enjoyed it. The gist is that players take turns placing tiles next to each other that constitute a landscape of sorts with villages, roads, and fields. You score points based on a few simple metrics, like how long the roads are, how big the villages are, and how many towns each field is adjacent to. Simple enough rules, but the create-the-board-as-you-go element makes for a practically limitless variety of ways for the games to play themselves out. I'm glad I bought this for $5 on Xbox, because I think I can now safely pass on buying the full thing for $25 or $30. It's not that I don't like it; it's just that more than anything I was curious to play the game, and now that I've done so, I'll likely buy an entirely different board game the next time I'm in the mood for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment