September 8, 2012

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon


This is the second time I've come away from a famous Ang Lee movie feeling underwhelmed. Not completely disappointed or anything, but merely not quite as impressed as the hype surrounding the movie had me hoping I would be. I guess this movie was a minor landmark in film history simply for bringing wuxia - a Chinese fiction genre focusing on mysticism and martial arts - to the West. The fight scenes were impressive and the film was shot in many beautiful locations, but a very generic and slow-moving plot left something to be desired. Actually, if you want to see a wuxia movie, I'd totally and wholeheartedly recommend the 2002 movie Hero, starring Jet Li. Compared to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, that movie was better-plotted and easier to fall right into, and it contained more and even better fight scenes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment