September 7, 2012

Zombieland


Here's one of those movies I always knew I'd get around to seeing, but never felt the compelling need to see with any immediacy. And just like that, three years went by, and when I finally did get around to buying it on Amazon a few weeks ago for chump change and saw the little "(2009)" next to the title, I did a double take. Three whole years? Shit. At any rate, if you'll pardon my severe lateness to the party, I did indeed highly enjoy Zombieland. It was well-made in all the right ways, from the great casting choices to the tone and mood. Coming in at just 82 minutes sans closing credits, it never really hit a lull or grew stale. It was funny without being stupid and it was R-rated without being excessively graphic or leaning too heavily on zombie scares. And somehow at the end of the day, there was an element of warmth to it that... just kind of worked, rather than feeling cheesy. Zombieland was one of those movies that I'd be hard-pressed to rate extremely highly, simply because its ceiling as a zom-com isn't very high. But the thing is, it hits that ceiling; what it sets out to be, it accomplishes becoming, and in that regard I'd have to call it a great movie. Not flawless, not an instant classic, and nothing I'd expect to find on the IMDb Top 250, but an extremely well made and enjoyable movie all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment