July 26, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye


I’ll take Sweeney’s lead and continue on with Salinger here. It’s quite possible that I’m one of the very few that have never read this guy in school. It just slipped through the cracks for me. For those that don’t know this, I went to two different high schools - my sophomore year was spent at Lawrence Academy - and because of this, I somehow dodge ever having to read this book for mere academic purposes. Now, I’ve just done it for pure leisure... and curiosity. (I can die a happy man now that I understand what the hell this title means.)


Many people have stressed to me that this is a book that needs to be read through the eyes of a pissy, little teenager or else you’ll begin to hate Holden Caulfield - the epitome of all pissy, little teenagers. However, I believe I’m immature enough (or just hate the world enough) to sympathize a little with Holden. Yeah, I enjoyed this book. At times, I did find it a little trying to stomach Mr. Debbie Downer, but I usually felt sorry for him rather than getting fed up with his attitude. Every now-and-then you get a glimpse of Holden’s softer side - his compassion for others, regardless if he’s making snide comments about them within his own head. By the end, you see him more as this tragic figure just trying his best to find his own path in life. That’s a message most people can probably empathize with to some extent, no matter what their age might be.


The real question remains: Will I read anymore Salinger? Well, judging by Sweeney’s post and Stan’s comments... probably not. Although this book provides some heavy insight onto the human condition (or just growing-up, in general) it wasn’t that much of a page turner. So, based on the “glowing” recommendations for Salinger’s other works, it may take a backseat for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment