November 12, 2018

Apocalypse Now


Here's the second-to-last movie in my backlog, a DVD I must have bought all the way back in college, Francis Ford Coppola's famous Vietnam War masterpiece and Heart of Darkness adaptation, Apocalypse Now. Specifically, here's the "Redux" version, which clocks in at nearly three and a half hours.

I respect the absolute hell out of this movie, but I'm afraid it's not a perfect ten for me. How much of that comes from the run time of this alternate, extended cut? Probably plenty! I can easily picture a shorter and simpler version of this movie, a less meandering one, hitting home harder and more succinctly. But that is not the version I watched, and alas, not the version I am here to blog about today.

One more DVD, guys. One more and then finally I can shut the book on this ten-year project of watchign every DVD I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment