March 13, 2018

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China


Bah. Really didn't care for the first Assassin's Creed game, and thought that if I ever had a shot to break into the franchise it'd be through one of these spin-off platformer things, free on Xbox Live back in some month or another. It's a five-hour "quickie," just twelve levels of a stealth-based platformer game in decent-looking 2.5D. Ho hum, nothing special.

And it turns out, that was exactly the problem - it's nothing special! There's just nothing fresh or new or even very different about this game, aside from perhaps the stealth mechanics. But in terms of the rest of the gameplay, and of the overall look and feel and game design, and of the characters and the story, man, this was jsut sort of five hours gone from my life! Pardon the melodrama, but really, I was just overwhelmingly bored by this game, even though it was exactly what I figured it would be. I guess if I want to play another "same old" stale platformer, then I might as well literally play the same, old ones. Long gone are the days where I give a shit about beating every free game thrown my way, and perhaps stuff like this is best left in its digital celophane wrap.

I feel the need to stress - this wasn't bad. It just felt so completely inessential and unmemorable - and who's got time for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment