August 28, 2017

Little Nightmares


Here's a quick, little platform-puzzle game somewhat in the same vein as Limbo and Inside.

As a whole, I really liked this game... much like I enjoyed playing Limbo and Inside. Now, it's worth noting this is not a sequel to those games. It's not even from the same developer. It just shares some gameplay elements.

Simple, platform-driven puzzles. Challenges that are compartmentalized from room to room. Relatively short game (my playtime was probably around the 2 hour marker). And a story thats isn't spoon fed to your, but gradually -- and mysteriously -- unravels through the gameplay.

If I had to rank this game against the other two, I think it just ekes out the competition. In fairness, they probably stand neck-and-neck in terms of challenge and overall fun, but what I really appreciated about Little Nightmares was the character design. Shit's just so creepy yet so beautiful. Probably helps the game is running on Unreal 4 game engine, but god-damn is it gorgeous. 

While this is not going to be my top game of 2017, it will rank high. And I would certainly recommend playing it if you're into puzzle platformers. 

1 comment: