April 14, 2012

Batman: Year One


I've started reading comic books. No, not graphic novels; actual comics books. Except for a couple of issues my parents' might have thrown my way while I was at camp for the summer, this is something I just never got into as a child. Instead I collected Star Wars cards - far more nerdy (although, I wonder if they'll ever be worth serious cash one day like I've always hoped?). Regardless, my handy-dandy iPad now lets me return to this craze that was lost on me as a youngster. And, yes, there is an app for that...

Seeing as how I'm kind of new to the whole world of comic books, what I'm trying to post here is not an entire collection of series (that would cost way too much money to get through) but, rather, discuss an individual story arc. For anyone out there at least somewhat knowledgeable on this subject, feel free to correct, but from my understanding a story arc is one storyline in the comic series that's typically constructed by the same writer/artist team. So what we have here are issues #404 - #407 of Batman which make up Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli's interpretation on a genesis story for Batman; hence, Batman: Year One. Don't ask me how you can be over 400 issues into a comic series before a tale is released describing how the superhero comes to be, but I imagine you just go with it - chances are there are several origin stories peppered throughout this particular Batman comic series (of which there are a dozen others). Now, let's jump into the thick of it.

If all comic books can live up this piece of work, I feel ashamed to have been so blind to these stories for so long. These comics are amazing. What's often cited as the inspiration for much of Nolan's Batman films, Batman: Year One tells not only the origin to Bruce Wayne discovering his superhero alter-ego, but Lt. Gordon entering the corrupt and violent Gotham police force. In fact I would say this title might be even a little misleading. The comics tend to focus fairly heavily on Gordon and friction as the new man on the force who plays strictly by the books amongst a sea of dirty, crooked cops. As Bruce/Batman looks to take on the gangsters and crime lords of Gotham, Gordon fights back against the current police commissioner and his lackeys. The arc culminates with the two parties coming together where we bare witness to the birth Gordon and Batman's partnership.

This interpretation on the Batman franchise is really interesting on how weak, vulnerable, and inexperienced Batman is. Almost loosing a fight to pimp on the streets (enter Selina/Catwoman) and getting trapped in a burning building surrounding by cops with a metal slug wedged in his thigh. It's all sloppy work from our hero in training. Then there's Gordon. A real badass. There's one point where he gets jumped by the rest of the cops wielding baseball bats and manages to take them all out... tacking names and kicking ass. Back to my mention of Catwoman's appearance. Yes, Selina is periodically inserted into the story as a lesbian/dominatrix/pimp who fights Batman on a couple different occasions, but is ultimately unnecessary to the story. She's not a main antagonist. Maybe, more like Batman's personal trainer - keeping him on his feet as Bruce makes his career transition. Otherwise this is a great read.

For anyone curious about getting into this story, check out Comixology online. (You can digitally download what you want from their massive library - I feel like I should be getting paid for this.) It's a short, exciting read and definitely worth it for a Batman fans out there. And keep posted. There are more comics on my must read list... many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment