October 18, 2011

Slaughter House Five



This is the second book by Vonnegut that I have read this year, the first being Cat's Cradle. When I started this book I expected something along the same lines. Overall, I would say that is not the case. I noticed a distinct writing pattern that I might suggest is entirely Vonnegut in origin but besides that the two books were vastly different. I won't compare the two here.

Slaughter House Five is perhaps his most popular work and has landed itself on many of the top 100 fiction book lists. The first thing I can say about it is that it is written in a way that is distinct from any other book I have ever read. After finishing the book I am unsure whether there was any conflict or resolution in this story. I can't tell what the individual characters' parts played in the overall plot of the story. It was disjointed, crude, unorganized, confusing, sarcastic, fatalistic and enjoyable. I enjoyed it for what it was not for the message it was "supposed" to send. I think this is a book about the journey over the destination. "So it goes."

No comments:

Post a Comment