October 10, 2011

Friday Night Lights: Season 4


It's somewhat ironic that I'll be the third guy to post about Friday Night Lights on the blog. After all, I was the guy who got previous posters Marissa and Sween to watch the show in the first place, and Marissa even logged my very copy of the fourth season a year ago. As such, there's not a whole lot left for me to say. I think Season 4 marked a turning point in the series that sort of worked immediately and sort of took all season to feel right. The atmosphere around the main characters shifted from a quiet little football town in West Texas in Season 1-3 to the suddenly extant inner city streets of that same quiet little suburb in Seasons 4 and 5. The show thus began to tackle socioeconomic issues and did its best Wire impressions with a few scenes where black teens are up to no good and have guns, even going so far as to cast Wallace as the new main character and D'Angelo as a one-episode mentor figure. I think the season started out pretty strong (and the fifth episode, "The Son," is extremely powerful on an emotional level and is my favorite in the entire series) but I also think it kind of faded into a brief, small rut in the latter half of its run. The storylines that took center stage were an abortion, a chop shop, and a love triangle between a girl, the star quarterback, and the goofy kicker. Regardless, this is still one of my favorite dramas ever and I hardly minded watching it a second time on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment