November 12, 2010

Onimusha: Warlords


Many years ago, I got a few hours into this game before putting it down for an indefinite hiatus. That hiatus ended this morning when I woke up and, on the second day of a four-day weekend, decided to play it until beating it. That only took me an hour and a half to do, and half an hour of that I can attribute to relearning the control scheme, the gameplay mechanics, and more or less everything in general. The most telling thing I can say about this game is that I remember almost none of it at all. Six or seven years ago, I played it almost entirely through, and yet I needed to use Wikipedia to remind me of the plot up until the point I was at, and even then I had zero recollection of it whatsoever. It's simply a hack-and-slash game that many have compared to Resident Evil with Samurai warriors instead of zombies. Puzzle elements are there, but take a backseat to mostly-pointless slicing and dicing. I guess the very definition of the word "forgettable" seems to sum up this particular gaming experience for me. That said, there are a lot of people who enjoyed this game a lot, and I know it's one of the more popular and well-known titles on the PS2. Fortunately, I didn't buy all of the sequels to this game as I've done with several other games I ended up not liking that much (Viewtiful Joe comes to mind immediately, and I'm sure I'll be sick of the Call of Duty games soon enough). I can't give this game a hearty recommendation, but if you're really big into Resident Evil (looking at you, Sween) then this game may be more up your alley than it was up mine.

1 comment:

  1. I'll consider it, but not enough to put it on the wishlist yet or anything, so that means this would be pretty far off. I know the RE games pre-4 must look pretty boring, but the "whole game is a giant puzzle" style kinda grew on me.

    ReplyDelete