November 3, 2009

Platoon


The first - and biggest - thing that impressed me about Platoon was its very large and recognizable cast. Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger, John C. McGinley, Johnny Depp, Forest Whitaker, and Kevin Dillon are just a few of the talents on display in this 1986 "Best Picture," and it was refreshing to see much younger versions of these notable actors who have enjoyed successful careers. I went into the movie with no expectations whatsoever - right down to the point where I had no idea that any of the aforementioned guys, let alone all of them, were involved with it. It was good. I mean, obviously a picture is "good" if it's won the Oscar for Best Picture. But really, that's all I can describe it as. Maybe I'm just a little down on war movies, or have seen too many of them, or can't appreciate older ones as much as I should, but for whatever reason, I just didn't love this movie. I liked it. I can't call it disappointing, because, again, I went in expecting nothing whatsoever, and the movie itself cost me all of five bucks several months ago. There were definitely moments that really hit me in a "no fucking way did shit like this really happen" kind of way. Of course, I'm sure "shit like that" really did happen, and frequently. If you've seen the film, you might know which specific part or two I'm alluding to, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't. So, yeah, Platoon was a good flick, and I did not dislike it. I suppose that on a quest to finish every DVD I own, that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment