November 15, 2011

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands


You may recall two things that happened a year and a half ago. One, I played through (and absolutely loved) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. And, two, Disney released an action movie also called Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. This game, which is not called The Sands of Time, was also released a year and a half ago. Coincidence? Of course not. Gigantic marketing gimmick. But because I loved that PS2 game so much, I went ahead and bought all of its sequels, including this very obvious marketing gimmick. I'm very pleased to say though that this game was just as fun as I remember Sands of Time being a year and a half ago. What could have been a clumsy movie tie-in was instead thankfully a game very much in the same vein as Sands of Time in terms of gameplay. Once again, I spent about eight hours running around a gigantic Persian palace fighting off sand warriors and climbing the walls, swinging on flagpoles, and generally flinging myself about. I was worried that this game, being one of those movie tie-in marketing ploys, would be terrible. But the only signs of shoddy creation work were a few physics glitches where I fell through walls or got stuck in beams. Other than that, the game flowed smoothly and looked great. And my biggest problem with Sands of Time, the slow combat, was fixed here, replaced by a bland and generic (but effective!) hack and slash system. I still have three more Prince of Persia games in my backlog: the two PS2 sequels to this game and Sands of Time in addition to one other cel-shaded spin-off. I look forward to all three; so far the first and last game in the series have both been awesome, and how could the other three possibly be any less than good? No telling whether I'll rush right in or hit up some other game next, but either way I hope I don't end up waiting another year and a half to play Prince of Persia again.

No comments:

Post a Comment