September 25, 2019

The Mind, Explained: Season 1


Here's another tough-to-categorize "thing I saw;" it's definitely TV, as it's broken into five distinct episodes that just came out on Netflix, but as far as seasons go, what was it? A mini-season of the Vox-produced docuseries Explained, which came out last year? Yes, probably. But that show's got its own, actual second season debuting in a week or two, and Netflix very clearly categorized these five episodes differently. Sow what is this? Is it a special? Is it a series of specials? Fuck it, no one cares, it's its own thing.

The five episodes in this miniseries (sure) were "Memory," "Dreams," Anxiety," "Mindfulness," and "Psychedelics." They were fine! Not great. Generally I felt more bored and less into these, particularly the later episodes, than I was last year watching Explained proper, but that might be because after an hour and forty minutes I was tired of hearing Emma Stone explain the hypothalamus to me. Hey, whatever, it was solid background viewing and I learned a thing or two I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment