January 3, 2019

The Little Drummer Girl: Season 1


I think Park Chan-wook is just fantastic. Loved his Vengeance trilogy, particularly Oldboy, and then the other year The Handmaiden came out of nowhere to just blow me away. So when I heard he was directing a six-episode '70s spy miniseries starring Alexander SkarsgÄrd and my man Michael Shannon, the question wasn't whether or not it would be any good, but rather just how far up my year-end rankings I could end up putting a six-episode miniseries. (The answer is twelfth.)

The show was great. I felt like it lost just the teeniest bit of steam in its endgame - the pilot was just so masterfully shot and directed, and you could really see that you were in for something special with this expert South Korean filmmaker, and the rest of the show felt more like, well, television, to put it pejoratively. I still loved it.

What I didn't love, AMC, was that this aired exactly once and then was only available On Demand in those obnoxious commercial-laden un-fastforwardable episodes. Worse, the whole thing was presented as three two-hour episodes. You pause that thing and your shitty DVR interface craps out, and it's game over. Look, I don't like supporting sites that pirate shows and movies, but when you make it virtually impossible for me to see something easily and conveniently, a thing that I'm already subscred to and "paying for" so to speak, that I just forgot to tape because come on it was Thanksgiving weekend who can remember to do that, I mean, what other choice do I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment