August 24, 2016

Dead Space 3


Recently I've been looking through some old games seeing if any titles pique my interest. Here's one I bought just before I got the Xbox One, quickly forgetting I even made this purchase. 

Dead Space has always been a fun series for me. It's a survival-horror game... only in SPACE! But unlike most of its other rivals in this genre, Dead Space doesn't rely on clunky controls and a weak antagonist to make you feel vulnerable against the spooky evil that surrounds you. Instead it does the opposite. It gives you powerful weapons and freeze-time magic (the game calls it "stasis control") to overpower your enemies. Plus your character needs to frequently curb-stomps monsters, exploding their heads, which is always a delight. 

So, yeah... the third installment of this franchise definitely ups this whole "action" element making me feel like I'm John McClane only instead of being trapped in the Nakatomi Tower, I'm blowing shit up in space. SPACE!

Dead Space 3 does share one common element with that of its survival-horror brethren: the overly complex story.

We're only three games deep and I feel like it's even more complicated that the Resident Evil series -- that's a presumptuous statement considering I don't really know what the fuck is going on in either series. Nevertheless... the story is confusing. All that's really needed to be known is that there are these alien-zombie monsters call necromorphs, and you need to kill them before they kill you. 

Other items that I think are worth praising are the graphics and the music score. I suppose people wouldn't expect anything less from a Triple-A title that has the budget to exploit the Xbox360's graphics and hire the London Symphony Philharmonic to help bring this blockbuster gaming experience to life. 

Dead Space 3. A fun game that I would happily return to every few years or so when it rears its ugly head, but if its sequels popped up more frequently it could easily wear out its welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment