July 24, 2016

XCOM: Enemy Unknown


Just a few months ago, I was ready to buy this title on PS3 for ten bucks or so. It's one I've had my eye on for a little while, but ultimately I balked - not now, too many games to play, etc. Fortunately, two weeks later it was free as part of Xbox's Games with Gold deal. I jumped on it, started playing it a couple weeks ago, and here I am today.

XCOM is a turn-based tactical battling game not unlike Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars or Fire Emblem. You equip your guys and make upgrades and such from a headquarters screen, then you send your guys into battle and control them during firefights in isometric grid environments. What it reminded me most of all was a zoomed-out Valkyria Chronicles; enemies could shoot you from cover while you moved and perma-death was always on.

I liked it! At first. But chalk up another unfortunate tally in the "long and repetitious" category. In addition to being real damn hard, even on easy mode, XCOM was real damn long, even without doing much of the optional content. No, I take that back - it was too hard unless you grinded through a lot of "optional" content - so it was either very hard or very long - or more realistically, a combination of both. Gah!

For real though, I did enjoy the concept and the gameplay here and I'd be interested in checking out XCOM 2 at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment