August 20, 2015

Mega Man Zero


Long-time readers know I've got a love-hate relationship with the Mega Man franchise. I mean, I love it, and in particular I love Mega Man X, but for two weeks or so I hated the sheer volume of Mega Man I was playing as I ripped through two separate compilations (the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the Mega Man X Collection) of admittedly repetitive run-and-gun platforming. Alas, I just don't know when to quit, because a few months ago I purchased the Mega Man Zero Collection, another Mega Man compilation. Yikes!

This one covers the entirety of a third subseries: the Mega Man Zero games. There are four of them, all released on the Game Boy Advance between 2002 and 2005. In these games, you play as Zero, the badass from the Mega Man X series who serves as a mentor and role model to X. Now, right off the bat, Zero's charisma and unflappable cool are gone, since you're the one controlling Zero and making mistakes, but whatever - that's still cool!

The first game in the series took me two and a half hours to beat on easy mode and I expect more of the same going forward, so I'll keep this post brief and try to touch on some gameplay comments and criticisms in an upcoming post.

No comments:

Post a Comment