December 16, 2015

Fire Emblem


Here's another GBA game bought for five bucks or so on my Wii U. It's Fire Emblem - not the original game in the franchise, but the first to be released in the U.S.

Y'all know by now that I'm a big fan of tactical RPGs, but honestly? This one didn't do a whole ton for me. Or at least nothing new. Its gameplay was virtually identical to Fire Emblem Awakening, which I played only a year ago, and which also had a vastly better story. Now, there's nothing wrong with a franchise keeping the same core gameplay elements from game to game, but there were three other Fire Emblem games that came out between this one and that one. That's a whole lot of same-old same-old, no?

Oh, and a shout out to the Wii U's save state feature, which easily saved me hours and hours of retrying battles. This game was no cakewalk!

2 comments:

  1. Despite all my attempts at starting these games (mainly Path of Radiance and Awakenings), I still can't get into the Fire Emblems franchise. The stories are boring and immensely convoluted -- even for video game standards. Plus I frown on a game that forces you to restart or revert to a prior save state whenever you lose a character (not even lose the fight). So yeah... thanks, but no thanks. These games are not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with anything you've said here. I think it'll be a long time before I pick up a third Fire Emblem game.

      Delete