January 30, 2019

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Season 4


And so concludes Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, a spiritual successor to 30 Rock in terms of its creators, rhythms, on-screen talent, sense of humor, you name it. 30 Rock won eleven Primetime Emmy awards and was nominated for, holy shit, 73. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was nominated for just eleven and didn't win any. (I suppose this final half-season is eligible for the Fall 2019 Emmys, but, come on.)

Where am I going with this? I have no idea! I don't know what else to say about this show, here at the end of it, beyond acknowledging its pedigree, of all things. I guess I'm saying that I'm going to miss it in the weirdest and smallest way. I wasn't on board with 30 Rock right out of the gate, but for more or less ten years I've been a regular viewer of that show or this one. Peak TV churns on and on and on, and waits for nobody, and -

Wait, no, now I remember why I started this off by waxing nostalgic about the Emmys! The first six episodes of this fourth and final season of Kimmy Schmidt came out like two days before the Emmy eligibility window closed last May, and somehow - somehow! - they earned a nomination for Best Comedy Series. Fuck that, man!

Go to hell, Kimmy Schmidt.

No comments:

Post a Comment